Wednesday, August 3, 2016



Lessons Learnt from the Transition to Post-PhD Working Life Outside of Academia




Dr. Kathrine Jackson
Keele University
United Kingdom


Introduction


Quite early on into my PhD I realised that I did not want to be a Lecturer in English Literature. I found that I was falling out of love with Victorian Literature and had stopped reading for pleasure. I could not see myself as someone who read for a living. This was towards the end of the first year of my doctorate and I had completed an opening chapter and had a reasonably robust plan for the rest of my thesis. I can be quite competitive with myself and wanted to be educated to the highest level possible. I decided to complete my PhD but to treat it more like a job.  This would also (I hoped) give my time to figure out what career I did want to pursue.  I worked from 9am-4pm, five days a week and had extra time off when I needed it. I was also selective about which conferences and symposiums I attended because these required extra work and I did not necessarily need to go to network with other academics. I also decided to leave working on any publications until after I had finished my research. This worked for me, especially as I also needed to work part time. The one add on PhD experience that I did embrace was tutoring undergraduate students. I enjoyed discussing literature and theory with students and helping them to develop their ideas. After I had finished my PhD and had completed some work experience in a local school I enrolled onto a PGCE course in Secondary English. A year later I started working in a school but had to leave after the first term; I then had to think again about what I wanted to do. This reflective piece shares some of the lessons that I learnt whilst working through this process. 



Lesson Number One: There are no easy answers but self-knowledge goes a long way


People who complete PhDs are brilliant, hardworking and focused people. When they put their mind to it, the possibilities of their achievement are endless. But if this exceptional person suddenly has nothing quite so concrete to focus on when they complete their doctoral research, what becomes of them? Where do they pour of their creative energies? We know that a handful get academic jobs and another lucky few are sought after by a plethora of Engineering Companies or Science based Research Firms or Charities. For everyone else, things are less clear cut. I thought that I would be able to pour all my creative energies into secondary school teaching. This is a very valid and worthy next step for a number of people transitioning away from academia, but it did not work out for me. Here’s why:  I worked out that as an introvert the contact hours with learners were very tiring and the pressure on me to make sure that all learners were making above expected progress was causing me an unhealthy about of stress. Coupled with the fact that behaviour management was wasting a lot of my time.

When I left teaching, I had a good sense of the qualities that I wanted out of a job: The opportunity to be creative, some flexibility, intellectual stimulation and a role that would ‘make a difference’. I was also painfully aware of the fact that I’m not motivated by money or the kudos of working for big name companies. Self-knowledge was my biggest ally in my job hunt. However, I did not know what job these qualities and opportunities could be found in. I was also had a limited geographical area in which to look because it was not appropriate at that particular time in my life to relocate. I looked widely for opportunities in sectors and areas that I would not previously have considered and was fortunate enough to find a short term research position at Keele University Students’ Union. Here, I investigated the experiences of international students who were studying at Keele University. This was Social Science-based research, so it gave me the opportunity to broaden my skill set. I conducted interviews, focus groups and questionnaires; all of which I found fascinating.  The focus of the research was to suggest steps that would make improvements to the experiences of international students whilst living and studying in the UK. This covered my desire to made a difference to people’s lives through my research which I was never convinced that the study of Victorian Literature would do. I have since moved on to work to at a local college in student support, but I still write part time and am working on publishing more of the data from the research. I have now worked out that I would eventually like to work on a freelance basis but am aware that this might be more of a five year plan; I will be able to transition when I have had the time to build up the necessary contacts and experience.
 

Lesson Number Two: Fulfillment does not necessarily have to come through work  


If I was asked what my biggest achievements are after finishing my PhD, only one of them would be related to academia. I never did get around to publishing my thesis as a book (there’s still time). I did however write or co-write three publications as a result of my research on international student experience for Keele University Students’ Union. Outside of academia, I am proud of the fact that I am currently fitter than I have ever been in my adult life. This summer I ran a half marathon and have my sights set upon running the London Marathon in the next few years. I have brought a house with my partner and am currently learning to how to decorate and garden. I also find that I have more time for the things that I enjoyed as a child but got side lined when I was focusing upon my education. I have been practicing the piano more and more – which is something that helps me to relax. I have also made the first tentative steps towards some creative writing. All of the drive, creativity, resilience and organisation that I developed throughout my doctoral research is now channelled into different directions. This has helped me to feel more rounded as a person and excited about the range of possibilities for my future. Perhaps I will have a second career as a concert pianist.  






Lesson Number Three: Having a PhD but not being an Academic can be bitter/sweet but you are not a failure


It is possible that however successful you are, there will be a part of you that wants back in to academia – especially when it has been such a big part of your previous life. This is completely normal and understandable. If I got a phone call out of the blue and was offered a teaching position as a Lecturer in English Literature at a university within commuting distance of my house, of course I would take it. (If it required me to move, it would be touch and go, but I still think that I would take up the opportunity). Whether or not I would manage to regain my enthusiasm for Victorian Literature though is another issue. There is a part of me that is a little saddened by the fact that I have a PhD but I am not a lecturer. However, this has more to do with my perception of other people’s expectations of what people with PhDs should be doing. When in actual fact ‘other people’ think very little about this. Now, I find that I am a little easier on myself and am taking up opportunities that present themselves which I will enjoy and will enable me to develop new skills. I am cautiously willing try and potentially fail at as many jobs or opportunities as it takes to be happy in my career and other interests.


 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment